Wednesday, November 5, 2008

The One With Some Scrap Chat

I have a question for you today, scrappers. It's a spinoff of "what makes a good layout" but it's not that generic.

Generally when I am shopping, I'm looking for great textures on my papers, interesting patterns, preferably with stripes and floral, small prints. I am looking for unique elements like paper pieces and interesting hardware, etc. It has to have great colors. And a good and versatile alpha. I don't prefer alphas that are too adorned.

Recently I finished this page and I don't know that I've ever been so in love with a page...*swoon*. It's so simple but I could just stare at this page forever. I'm not even trying to be vain, I just love how simply and perfectly it came together.

{And on a side note...Barb...if you are reading this...Barb you are the queen of getting published...I see your layouts left and right in magazines! Is this publishable material? It just seems so papery I thought I might have a chance. Or am I out of luck because all fall layouts were called for six months ago? Should I scraplift myself and do a spring theme? :P}

back to topic:

Which led me to thinking...I used a great kit for this page: Stuffed by Libby Weifenbach, Shawna Clingerman and Melissa Bennett.
But, this page could have been created with a mediocre kit too. Or *gasp* even a "bad" kit! I mean, all I used was three solid papers, three pieces of ricrac, a plain alpha, a tab and a button. Nothing fancy about that! (and the kit had so much cuter stuff in it...maybe I'll go back and do a second layout to use the adorable little pilgrim or turkey.)

So I guess the real question is....can a page be great without the fancy fixin's from a fantastic kit? I think my page works, because of the cute photo and the clever concept, but could my page be better if I added some fancy fixin's? Or would it be overkill?

I'm just musing this morning. Don't wanna talk about politics :P

what do you think?

11 comments:

Bird Stalker Photography said...

I think you can, I believe it is probably the composition that makes the page. I am not saying fancy things doesn't look nice but if you have a nice composition, that is what catches my eye!

Carol R. said...

I came to your blog from DST and I am sooooooo glad I did! This layout is stunning in it's simplicity. I am not one who likes too much fru-fru in layouts. The composition and colors on this layout are absolutely perfect! Beautiful little girl too!

schneeflocke said...

your right, sometimes simple layouts look great and don't need fancy kits, but I love special stuff and you dont get this everywhere...

Creative Junkie said...

well, I certainly hope so, since I rarely, if ever, use a kit!

Side by Side said...

On this layout...the photo totally makes the layout.

All the rest could have come from any kit and been just as amazing.

But that was the point for this layout.

There are other times when a cute element is just the touch you need to finish. I love having the elements to choose from though. :)

Kresta said...

I think a good page comes from good design. Even if the kit isn't the greatest, a good design will make it look good. Your page looks great and, though I'm not Barb, I think it could be published! :)

Vanessa said...

Super cute page! I love what you did with those alphas in the corner.

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

I think it can. But I am at heart a minimalist paper style scrapper. White background, couple of blocks of paper, a photo & 1-2 embies

Juliana said...

Oh my goodness, such a lovely layout! The picture is just adorable.

20Birds said...

well everyone said it already... sometimes fussy is the best and sometimes simple is best... clearly here simple rocks!!!! but that kit is so cool i am going to have grab it for myself

Lori said...

I guess u prove a good point there! And I love that page too. I saw it in the gallery and took a good look as well.Although just because u used simple elements from the kit I think if the kit had been poorly made u may not have been so motivated. Its a good point though thankls for making it because sometime speople get into the trend to much!